Wednesday 17 April 2013

Week 8: Cultural Blog 05.04.13- 12.04.13

Lutfullah and Me watching a Turkish football game

As I was making dinner this week my friend Muhammet told me that I have changed a lot since I first arrived here. He told me that at the beginning of Erasmus, for example, when I joined them for a Turkish meal, I seemed a little unsure and awkward. Now, after two months (I still cannot believe it has been that long), I am very at ease and comfortable with my Turkish friends’ culture and rituals. At first I disagreed with him and told him that I had always felt relaxed around them, however when I began to think back to my first week there were certain things that seemed very alien to me.

Turkish Coffee and Turkish Delight
The first time I ate with my Turkish friends they made potatoes and egg, similar to a Spanish Omelette, which I found very normal. However, when we began to eat, I realised they do not use forks to eat with, but bread and had tomatoes and ‘Turkish cheese’ to add to their food. They also did not use individual plates, but ate together from the saucepan in the middle of the table. Now that I have experienced this for a couple of months, I understand that the cultural reason for this is that eating together from the same plate brings the people together. I also discovered that they eat bread with almost everything! During Erasmus I have learnt that there are very important Turkish rituals such as the expression which is used to compliment someone when they have prepared a meal for you, “Eline sağlık”. This literally translates as ‘health to your hand’ and when said, the person replies “Afiyet olsun” which is similar to the French “bon appétit” which means “May there be good appetite”.


My 'Turkish Culture' Teachers
Just as certain idioms and colloquialisms are unique to each language and culture, so are body gestures, as I realised during my first month.  I subsequently discovered that a gesture in one culture may be meaningless or insignificant in another culture or worse may indicate a completely different meaning. I had occasionally thought that my Turkish friends were being dismissive or were disapproving of me as they would often ‘tut’. This had made me very uncomfortable and anxious. Eventually I plucked up the courage to ask why they continued to do this and to tell me what I was doing wrong. They explained that Turkish people often tilt their head upwards while making a ‘tut’ sound to indicate “no”.  I felt a massive sigh of relief once they explained this to me as I finally understood!

It is easy to focus on language barriers when meeting people from different countries however, I never realised how important facial and body gestures can be in communicating information. Unfortunately a lack of knowledge of these gestures can often lead to a miscommunication and sometimes even offending someone.  According to Dörnyei & Thurrell (1994), body and facial gestures are non-linguistic tools that can be used by learners and teachers to overcome communication breakdowns, however for this to work in a multicultural class, teachers must introduce children to these gestures before assuming knowledge, which may often be forgotten about.

References:
Dörnyei, Z. & Thurrell, S. (1994). Strategic competence and how to teach it. ELT Journal, 45, 16-23
NMELRC (2013).  Available at, http://nmelrc.org/documents/Handbooks/TurkishHandbook.pdf accessed on 14/03/13

No comments:

Post a Comment