Sunday 3 March 2013

Week 2: Cultural (22/02/13-1/03/13)


It has only been this week that I have really seen how different the Polish culture is, mainly due to our Polish language classes. 

On Tuesday Marisa, Brian and I attended our first class, and after arriving five minutes late, we were shocked that the class were already reading the alphabet! The lecturer seemed very formal, unlike the lecturers in Stranmillis, and instructed us to call her ‘Pani Doktor’.  After some time, the lecturer began to warm to us and explained that within Polish society there are many divides, which are only beginning to be broken down now. This can be seen within the university, as students and lecturers are divided, even when it comes to the canteen they eat lunch in.

During our second class she pointed out that many of us were smiling all the time and explained that Polish people, especially the older generation, may think we are crazy. Polish people do not ‘fakely’ smile at strangers or exaggerate their emotions, and if they do this it is usually to suggest romantic interest. This explained a lot for me, as I often had smiled at people on the trams and received odd looks. I also told the class a story about a man standing outside a shop a couple of days before. He had an extremely cute dog on a leash and I screamed and got down on my knees to pet the dog. The man looked at me as if I was mentally insane! The lecturer confirmed that he would have thought I was crazy and the whole class erupted into laughter!

At Stary Renek
We also attended our second ‘Poland for Beginners’ class which seemed very long but interesting. We discussed the History of Poland and what has shaped it to be the country that it is today. I was very surprised how many times the borders of Poland have changed throughout history, which has effected how some older people feel about areas of Poland, as they were once part of Germany or the USSR. We also discussed the many Wars that Poland has been involved in, with particular reference to WWII. Even though our lecturer was relatively young, and never experienced the pain of the war, it was very obvious that Polish people still feel hurt by what happened at this time. However, Polish people are strong; “The soul of Poland is indestructible... she will rise again as a rock, which may for a spell be submerged by a tidal wave, but which remains a rock” (Churchill, 2005).

International School of Poznan
This week we also visited our placement school, ‘The International School of Poznan’. The teachers all seemed very happy and friendly and kindly gave us a tour around the school. They even invited my boyfriend, Seán, on the tour, who had surprised me with a flight over that morning. Although this visit was over lunchtime hours, it was apparent that the school was laid back, informal and relaxed as the children were very loud and hyper! I got the impression I will be very content in this school for placement and cannot wait until we start on the following Monday. I am also very excited as the schools strives to teach the children to develop as ‘citizens of the world – culture, language and learning to live together’ (INSP, 2013) which is directly linked to my dissertation topic for next year!


My little bit of home!

Although I have enjoyed meeting so many new people, it has been so nice spending time with Seán as he’s my little bit of home.
Until next week,
Do widzenia.

References:
Churchill, W. (2005) ‘Maxims and Reflections’ Kessinger Publishing.

INSP (2013) available at http://isop.pl/en/mission-statement/ accessed on 01/03/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment